Monday, February 1, 2010

Got His License!



When I went to bed Wednesday, January 6th, they had already delayed the local schools. When I awoke Thursday morning the delays had changed to cancellations and the MN DOT website said, "driving conditions hazardous, travel not advised, white out, blowing snow." So, I called the DMV to see if they were still holding driving tests. Yep. So we headed out, allowing extra time, in the two wheel drive truck, why you wonder when we have a four wheel drive suburban? Well, a couple of weeks ago I noticed that my rear top brake light was out. And because I am a responsible driver I stopped into the auto parts store and bought a bulb. The sales clerk had a hard time finding the correct bulb, that should have been a clue. But, I promptly forgot to have Daddy change it when he was home. So, the weekend before the test I send Big Brother and Little Brother out to change the bulb. They come in with an LED assembly and say this is why the sales clerk couldn't find the right bulb. It doesn't take a bulb, it needs a new part! Monday morning I call to see if I can get the suburban in the shop to replace the light, no one can fix it until Friday. Called the DMV and sure enough a nonworking brake light is not going to help him get his driver's license. Now, the truck has this other little quirk, sometimes the speedometer stops working. Big Brother and Daddy have figured out how many RPMs equal 30 MPH and 55 MPH, so he's pretty sure if it quits working he can keep it going the correct speed. And if the examiner notices, well it will be the first time THAT ever happened. On the way to the driver's test we get stuck in the driveway, Big Brother shovels us out and starts to put the shovel away. I suggest we take it with us, just in case. After his test the examiner said that was "awesome driving, fantastic!" We get home and I breathe a huge sigh of relief and the weather steadily deteriorates.

No comments:

Post a Comment