Thursday, February 4, 2010

Some of the roads have these signs,

some have what look like RR crossing arms. Our road is off a county highway that has these signs, the sign to the east is about 5 miles from our house, the one to the west is about 11 miles away. Driving on a closed road involves a $1000 fine and paying for your own rescue. I was concerned that I might inadvertently head out onto our closed highway. As we headed into our first winter I asked a friend how I would know if the road was closed, she said if it was, I wouldn't be out. We went through our first two winters with nary a road closure in South Central and South Western Minnesota. This winter however, has been a different story. After we had been home from the driver's test for a couple of hours I checked the DOT website again. This is what they had to say in the mid afternoon, "High winds are causing near zero visibility and heavy drifting. Plows are unable to keep up with the drifting and plows in x, y, and z counties have been pulled off the roads. State and county roads in x, y, and z counties are closed." X was my county, if I could have gotten out the lights would have been flashing. I could barely see the end of the driveway, so I knew what my friend had meant when she told me I wouldn't be out. On January 25th the weather again forced the closure of the state and county roads in 22 counties in South Central and South Western MN.

No comments:

Post a Comment