Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Lower Sioux Agency



There were two reservations in the Minnesota Valley, the Upper Sioux and the Lower Sioux. There is a historic site at each, as we traveled up the Minnesota River valley from Harkin Store, to Fort Ridgely our next stop was Lower Sioux Agency. This historic site is only open on weekends, and we've run out of weekends. I was disappointed to not be able to visit this site as I understand it contains more of the Sioux history. You may notice that I sometimes have used Sioux and sometimes Dakota, I think I've read that the people prefer to be called Dakota and that the white settlers called them Sioux. I am trying to understand their history but have not found anyone who I can ask frank questions of. . .I am not trying to be insensitive or racist merely trying to understand the past so that we can make a better future.

No comments:

Post a Comment